Organization: Open Development Cambodia
Working language: English and Khmer
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reports to: Senior Editor-Researcher, ODC Executive Director/Editor-in-Chief
Coordinates with: Editor-Researchers, IT Support Officer, IT Manager, Mappers, Data Specialists, and Interns
Open Development Cambodia manages an open data website (www.opendevcam.net), aggregating a wide range of economic, environmental and social data to build out a development portrait of Cambodia. ODC was registered as a local NGO in 2015.
Editor-Researcher works with the ODC team in developing online resources including daily news summaries, briefing papers and related graphics, abstracts of reports and other documents, and data entry and translation in Khmer and English.
- Identify, summarize, tag, and post news on a daily basis, using both Khmer and English language sources.
- With other team members, collaborate on site design and development, including identifying content areas for research and development.
- Research assigned content areas and develop thematic pages; critique and edit thematic pages and abstracts produced by others.
- Compile legal documents, policy papers, reports and other publications for CKAN data hub; data entries of the related resources require some editorial review and translation as well.
- Conceptualize and assist in the development of relevant maps and graphics; proofread and edit maps and graphics in keeping with ODC protocols and standards.
- Translate internal and external documents from Khmer to English and English to Khmer, as needed; Assist with and/or proof translations.
- Assist with report-writing and correspondence as assigned.
- Co-design project concepts to expand ODC website.
- Conduct research to support building out web content on development trends.
- Conduct outreach to prospective partners, data sources providers, users and the target audience.
- Assisting preparing, drafting and editing grants, contracts, procurement documents, and other documentation, as assigned.
- Take notes and prepare meeting minutes/reports, as assigned.
- Write posts for social media, as assigned.
- Identify problems with the site and related processes; consult with others to develop solutions.
- Advise and guide research volunteers and interns.
- Represent ODC to the public, participate in, and contribute to collaborative and promotional events.
- Other tasks, as needed or assigned.
- University degree in environmental studies (policy/science), development studies, rural development, media/communications, economics, law or other relevant area such as agriculture, sociology, public policy, international relations, etc. Graduates from universities of English-based programs, preferable.
- Understanding of and interest in socio-economic and environmental development trends in the country, or Greater Mekong Sub-Region (GMS), a plus.
- Full command of English, and excellent Khmer.
- Strong presentation, writing and negotiation skills to elaborate the ideas and conceptualization of (potential) projects in development of new content, a plus.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in researching, writing and editing materials; previous experience in editorial work and translation in English and Khmer, preferable.
- Knowledge of various engines and tools for research, analyses and data visualization; Other computer skills (Word Press, blogs, word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, internet search) are necessary; basic GIS or mapping skills, a plus
- Enthusiasm to work on promotion of the public awareness through availability and accessibility of information and data, of CSOs-Government-private sector.
- Good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team
- Good problem solving skills and ability to take appropriate initiative to achieve objectives
- Strong commitment to objective and neutral journalistic standards
- Willingness to respect ODC principles and code of conduct
- Language skills in other languages of the region such as Burmese, Vietnamese or Thai, etc. not required but a plus.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, a detailed CV with two references and research writing sample using the contact details below. Subject of the application: ODC Editor-Researcher.
Deadline for submitting applications is on 7 August, 2016 at 12 midnight. Women are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted by email ONLY: email@example.com