Terms of Reference
ODC Chief Technology Officer
Job title: ODC Chief Technology Officer
Reports to: ODC Executive Director/Editor-in-Chief
Coordinates with: Editor-Researcher team, Data Researcher and GIS team, Regional IT Manager and Other staff
Supervise: Web Development and IT Team
Schedule & location: Full-time and based in Phnom Penh
Salary range: US$ 850 to 1,650 per month plus other benefits
Open Development Cambodia (ODC) specializes in aggregating data and developing interactive digital maps and datasets. Data from many sources are collated into an easily-accessed platform, opening space for informed discussion of development issues. ODC was launched in 2011 as an independent, politically-neutral body and registered with the Ministry of Interior in Cambodia as a local NGO in 2015.
The Chief Technology Officer works with the ODC team in developing online information resources (www.opendevcam.net) for Cambodia’s development community and other audiences. The Chief Technology Officer takes the lead role in developing and maintaining the ODC web platform and controlling the networking system.
- Develop, manage and maintain the ODC platform and network system to ensure effective performance and security.
- Support the Executive Director in the development and implementation of ODC’s website and information technology strategic plans and policies.
- Take responsibility for the development and execution of ODC’s technical strategy in partnerships with regional and other national partners.
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to the IT Officer, Web Development Officers, and other technical staff, setting an effective agenda and ensuring performance goals are set and then met.
- Provide overall technical support to the Data Researcher and GIS team and Editor-Researcher team, coding to upload and present data in various formats of open data, build mapping functions, correct errors and enhance the functionality of the site for user-friendliness.
- Develop project plans, timelines, and project documentation related to IT as well as support on designing promotional materials
- Provide assistance and backstopping for other Open Development sites when the Regional IT Manager are not available, as needed or assigned by ODC Executive Director/Editor-in-Chief.
- Serve as a mentor, coach and guide to ODC staff.
Detailed Duties and Tasks
ODC IT Management and Web Platform Management
- Ensure effective maintenance and optimization of the ODC in-house server for both back-end and front-end efficiency and security; identify problems and work with the technical team to ensure regular in-house server updates are made and maintenance and timely solutions to problems are carried out.
- Advise and support ODC staff in uploading spatial and non-spatial data to the database and website in a timely way.
- Manage technical aspects of the platform (WordPress, CKAN and GeoServer), including guiding, directing and monitoring staff in coding and data entry.
- Design and develop infographics, data visualization, maps, and website template in consultation with the ODC team.
- Maintain social media accounts, identify and resolve any technical problems associated with them.
- Track and monitor website and social media analytics.
- Train, guide and advise ODC staff on using WordPress, CKAN, GeoServer and other applications as needed, and ensure that they are implemented following the OD standard.
- In consultation with the Regional IT Manager, identify and recommend software solutions to address particular design, mapping or data visualization issues and guide staff in their applications.
- Support on designing ODC promotional and presentation materials, as requested, in keeping with OD standards.
- Identify errors and new IT needs and propose solutions to the Regional IT manager and other IT managers; participate in discussion and consultation to decide and agree any new features, customizations or revisions.
- With the supervision of the Regional IT Manager and in collaboration with other team members, assist in designing new templates, customizing themes, developing functions, building plug-ins, and coding revisions to correct errors.
- Orient staff to security policies and protocols and ensure their implementation; this may include periodic audits of staff computers.
- In consultation with the Regional IT Manager, configure, control, and maintain the local network systems for security and ensure online data is centralized.
- Identify short and long-term technical problems and coordinate with other staff to determine ongoing technical needs.
- In consultation with the Regional IT Manager and relevant staff, research and make recommendations on IT equipment procurement.
- Monitor and report on progress toward project goals.
- Research, develop, create project documentation and guidelines and maintain the site change log.
- Develop technical skills of self and team to apply to ODC, as appropriate.
ODC Operations and Strategy
- Represent ODC at community and professional functions.
- Participate in the strategic development of the ODC and OD Mekong platform overall.
- Perform other tasks, as needed or assigned by ODC Executive Director/Editor-in-Chief.
- Degree in computer science or equivalent experience or skills.
- At least five years’ work experience.
- Knowledge and experience in leadership and management.
- Experience with designing promotional materials.
- Demonstrated skills in designing, coding and website development.
- Be able to maintain computers in both hardware and software.
- Experience with managing Windows/Linux server
- Working knowledge of networking (WAN & LAN) and troubleshooting.
- Good problem solving, planning and interpersonal skills.
- Strong commitment to objective and neutral data standards.
- Ability to work in both Khmer and English.
- Good writing and reporting skills.
- Strong sense of responsibility with good analytical skills, flexible and detail-minded.
- Experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) required.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics reports required.
- Knowledge of GitHub required.
- At least three years’ experience in development, economic and/or environmental issues.
- Willingness to respect and work within ODC principles and ODC’s code of conduct.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and a detailed CV with at least two referees, by using the contact details below.
Subject of the application: ODC Chief Technology Officer
The deadline for submitting applications is 12 January 2020 at 12 midnight (Cambodian time). Women are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted by email ONLY: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more detailed information please contact email@example.com.