- 9 October 2014
- The Cambodia Daily
- Civil society / Economic land concessions and plantations / Human rights / Land / Land policy and administration / Social development
- ANZ Bank / Equitable Cambodia / Inclusive Development International / Land grabs / Ly Yong Phat / OECD / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
NGOs have filed a new complaint against Australia’s ANZ Bank claiming it owes compensation to 681 Cambodian families who say their farms were illegally grabbed by a sugarcane plantation the bank helped to finance. ...
- 10 May 2013
- Southeast Asia Globe
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Crop products and commodities / Economic land concessions and plantations / Economy and commerce / Exports / Human rights / Judiciary and courts / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Law and judiciary / Public land lease / Social development / Sugar / Trade
- Agro-Business / agro-business firms / American Sugar Refinery Company / assault / Boycott Blood Sugar campaign / child labor / child labour / compensation / CPP / CPP Senator Ly Yong Phat / criminal activity / Dr Nirun Pitakwatchara / Dr Pung Chhiv Kek / EBA / economic land concession / education / ELC / ELC scheme / EU / EU in Cambodia ambassador Jean-Francois Cautain / Europe / European Parliament / European Union aid / Everything But Arms / Everything But Arms Agreement / Everything But Arms scheme / Everything But Arms Treaty / Exports / farming / forced evictions / Human Rights / human rights violations / illegal possession of land / ILO / International Labor Organisation / International Labour Organisation / Jean-Francois Cautain / Jones Day / Jones Day law firm / Kampong Speu / Kampong Speu Province / Khon Kaen Sugar Industry Public Company Limited / KKP / KKS / KKS industry / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / Koh Kong Sugar Industry / Koh Kong Sugar Plantation / KSL / labor / labour / land / Land grabs / Land rights / Land titles / Lawsuits / LICADHO / Licadho president Pung Chhiv Kek / livestock / London / Ly Yong Phat / National Human Rights Commission of Thailand / NGO Equitable Cambodia / NHRC / NHRC commissioner Dr Nirun Pitakwatchara / Nirun Pitakwatchara / Oddar Meanchey / Oddar Meanchey Province / OECD / Omlaing / Omlaing commune / Omlaing sugar plantation / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises / PC Law Firm / Phnom Penh Sugar Company / Phnom Penh Sugar director Seng Nhak / Phnom Penh Sugar’s Omlaing plantation / plantation workers / Plantations / preferential trade scheme / protests / Pung Chhiv Kek / razed crops / Rees Broome law firm / Seng Nhak / shootings / subsistence farming / sugar / sugar exports / sugar industry / sugarcane / sugarcane plantations / Taiwan / Tate & Lyle / Tate & Lyle Sugars / Thailand / Thpong district / UK / UK’s High Court of Justice / UN / United Nations / United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights / US / US National Contact Point / Ve Wong Corporation / wages
Satiating the demands of the global sugar industry is big business for Cambodia’s sugarcane plantations. Yet accusations of human rights abuses and land grabs in the Kingdom have left a bitter aftertaste for many on the ground as companies vie for a larger slice of ...
- 12 November 2012
- The Phnom Penh Post
- Development policy and administration / Economy and commerce / Energy / Energy policy and administration / Environment and natural resources / Generation and distribution facilities / Hydropower dams / Renewable energy production / Rivers and lakes / Water resources
- Cambodia / Energy Business Group / environmental and social effects / environmental groups / Finnish government / International Rivers / Lao government / Mekong river / Mekong River Commission (MRC) / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development / Poyry / Subcommittee on Water Marine and Coastal Resources / Thai Senate subcommittee / Thailand / Xayaburi hydropower dam
Multinational consulting and engineering firm Pöyry has signed a contract with the Lao government to supervise construction of the divisive Xayaburi hydropower dam in the country’s north, it announced Friday. This work, carried out by its Energy Business Group, will include reviewing the design and ...