- 18 July 2013
- The Cambodia Daily
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Biofuel crops / Crop products and commodities / Economic land concessions and plantations / Economy and commerce / Exports / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Public land lease / Sugar / Trade
- Agri-industy / Agricultural policy and administration / American Sugar Holdings / Bonsucro / BP / Coca-Cola / Community Legal Education Center / compensation / Corporate responsibility / corporate social responsibility / Equitable Cambodia / Exports / forced evictions / Investment / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / KSL / land / Land Land policy and administration / Land rights / Land-grabbing / London / Plantations / Rees Broome law firm / sugar / sugar exports / sugar plantations / sugarcane / T&L / Tate & Lyle / UK / UK high Court of Justice
An international group that promotes the ethical sourcing of sugar for the food and energy industries has suspended the membership of U.K. sugar giant Tate & Lyle for failing to answer complaints that it was buying from Cambodian plantations accused of stealing land from local ...
- 17 July 2013
- The Cambodia Daily
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Biofuel crops / Crop products and commodities / Economic land concessions and plantations / Economy and commerce / Exports / Judiciary and courts / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Law and judiciary / Public land lease / Sugar / Trade
- Agricultural commodities, processing and products / agro-industry / Cambodian law / CLEC / CLEC executive director Yeng Virak / commercial law / Community Legal Education Center / compensation / cooperate social responsibility / Disputed Land / ELCs / forced evictions / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / KSL / KSL plantation / land / Land Law / land ownership / Land rights / land tenure / lawsuit / London / Rees Broome law firm / sugar / sugar plantations / sugarcane / Tate & Lyle / U.K. / U.K. High Court of Justice / Yeng Virak
A lawsuit filed by families in Koh Kong province accusing U.K. sugar giant Tate & Lyle of wrongfully profiting off land stolen from them is heading to trial after efforts to mediate a settlement fell through earlier this month, according to those involved. Law firm Jones ...
- 10 May 2013
- Southeast Asia Globe
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Crop products and commodities / Economic land concessions and plantations / Economy and commerce / Exports / Human rights / Judiciary and courts / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Law and judiciary / Public land lease / Social development / Sugar / Trade
- Agro-Business / agro-business firms / American Sugar Refinery Company / assault / Boycott Blood Sugar campaign / child labor / child labour / compensation / CPP / CPP Senator Ly Yong Phat / criminal activity / Dr Nirun Pitakwatchara / Dr Pung Chhiv Kek / EBA / economic land concession / education / ELC / ELC scheme / EU / EU in Cambodia ambassador Jean-Francois Cautain / Europe / European Parliament / European Union aid / Everything But Arms / Everything But Arms Agreement / Everything But Arms scheme / Everything But Arms Treaty / Exports / farming / forced evictions / Human Rights / human rights violations / illegal possession of land / ILO / International Labor Organisation / International Labour Organisation / Jean-Francois Cautain / Jones Day / Jones Day law firm / Kampong Speu / Kampong Speu Province / Khon Kaen Sugar Industry Public Company Limited / KKP / KKS / KKS industry / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / Koh Kong Sugar Industry / Koh Kong Sugar Plantation / KSL / labor / labour / land / Land grabs / Land rights / Land titles / Lawsuits / LICADHO / Licadho president Pung Chhiv Kek / livestock / London / Ly Yong Phat / National Human Rights Commission of Thailand / NGO Equitable Cambodia / NHRC / NHRC commissioner Dr Nirun Pitakwatchara / Nirun Pitakwatchara / Oddar Meanchey / Oddar Meanchey Province / OECD / Omlaing / Omlaing commune / Omlaing sugar plantation / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises / PC Law Firm / Phnom Penh Sugar Company / Phnom Penh Sugar director Seng Nhak / Phnom Penh Sugar’s Omlaing plantation / plantation workers / Plantations / preferential trade scheme / protests / Pung Chhiv Kek / razed crops / Rees Broome law firm / Seng Nhak / shootings / subsistence farming / sugar / sugar exports / sugar industry / sugarcane / sugarcane plantations / Taiwan / Tate & Lyle / Tate & Lyle Sugars / Thailand / Thpong district / UK / UK’s High Court of Justice / UN / United Nations / United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights / US / US National Contact Point / Ve Wong Corporation / wages
Satiating the demands of the global sugar industry is big business for Cambodia’s sugarcane plantations. Yet accusations of human rights abuses and land grabs in the Kingdom have left a bitter aftertaste for many on the ground as companies vie for a larger slice of ...