- 25 July 2013
- The Cambodia Daily
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Child labor / Crop products and commodities / Economy and commerce / Exports / Labor / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Sugar / Trade
- Agri-industy / Agricultural policy and administration / Agriculture & Agri-business / child labor / Disputed Land / Duty-free exports / Eang Vuthy / EC / Equitable Cambodia / European Union aid / human rights abuses / Investment / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / Koh Kong sugar plantations / labor / labor law violations / labour / land conflicts / Land rights / Land-grabbing / NGOs / nongovernmental organizations / Plantations / sugar exports / Sugar Plantation / sugar plantations / Sugar supplier / sugarcane / Tate & Lyle / Tate & Lyle Company / Thai Plantations / The Guardian newspaper / United Kingdom
U.K. sugar firm Tate & Lyle on Wednesday said it was looking into recent allegations of child labor on two plantations in Koh Kong province it has been buying sugar from since 2010, but rebuked NGOs for not bringing the claims to its attention sooner. The ...
- 18 July 2013
- The Cambodia Daily
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Biofuel crops / Crop products and commodities / Economic land concessions and plantations / Economy and commerce / Exports / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Public land lease / Sugar / Trade
- Agri-industy / Agricultural policy and administration / American Sugar Holdings / Bonsucro / BP / Coca-Cola / Community Legal Education Center / compensation / Corporate responsibility / corporate social responsibility / Equitable Cambodia / Exports / forced evictions / Investment / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / KSL / land / Land Land policy and administration / Land rights / Land-grabbing / London / Plantations / Rees Broome law firm / sugar / sugar exports / sugar plantations / sugarcane / T&L / Tate & Lyle / UK / UK high Court of Justice
An international group that promotes the ethical sourcing of sugar for the food and energy industries has suspended the membership of U.K. sugar giant Tate & Lyle for failing to answer complaints that it was buying from Cambodian plantations accused of stealing land from local ...
- 26 June 2013
- The Cambodia Daily
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Biofuel crops / Crop products and commodities / Economic land concessions and plantations / Economy and commerce / Exports / Judiciary and courts / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Public land lease / Sugar / Trade
- Agriculture & Agri-business / agro-farming / Bonsucro / Bonsucro chief executive Nick Goodall / BP / Coca-Cola / Eang Vuthy / Equitable Cambodia / Equitable Cambodia executive director Eang Vuthy / evictions / forced evictions / Human Rights / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / land / Land grabs / land ownership / Land rights / land tenure / London / rubber planations / sugar / sugar cane / sugar cane plantations / sugar exports / sugar plantations / sugar trade associations / Tate & Lyle / UK / UK High Court / UK high Court of Justice
A London-based sugar trade association aiming to promote a more ethical and sustainable industry will meet early next month to consider a request from Cambodian farmers that it eject U.K.-based sugar firm Tate & Lyle from the group unless it gives them back their land. Some ...
- 10 May 2013
- Southeast Asia Globe
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Crop products and commodities / Economic land concessions and plantations / Economy and commerce / Exports / Human rights / Judiciary and courts / Land / Land tenure and land titling / Law and judiciary / Public land lease / Social development / Sugar / Trade
- Agro-Business / agro-business firms / American Sugar Refinery Company / assault / Boycott Blood Sugar campaign / child labor / child labour / compensation / CPP / CPP Senator Ly Yong Phat / criminal activity / Dr Nirun Pitakwatchara / Dr Pung Chhiv Kek / EBA / economic land concession / education / ELC / ELC scheme / EU / EU in Cambodia ambassador Jean-Francois Cautain / Europe / European Parliament / European Union aid / Everything But Arms / Everything But Arms Agreement / Everything But Arms scheme / Everything But Arms Treaty / Exports / farming / forced evictions / Human Rights / human rights violations / illegal possession of land / ILO / International Labor Organisation / International Labour Organisation / Jean-Francois Cautain / Jones Day / Jones Day law firm / Kampong Speu / Kampong Speu Province / Khon Kaen Sugar Industry Public Company Limited / KKP / KKS / KKS industry / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / Koh Kong Sugar Industry / Koh Kong Sugar Plantation / KSL / labor / labour / land / Land grabs / Land rights / Land titles / Lawsuits / LICADHO / Licadho president Pung Chhiv Kek / livestock / London / Ly Yong Phat / National Human Rights Commission of Thailand / NGO Equitable Cambodia / NHRC / NHRC commissioner Dr Nirun Pitakwatchara / Nirun Pitakwatchara / Oddar Meanchey / Oddar Meanchey Province / OECD / Omlaing / Omlaing commune / Omlaing sugar plantation / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development / Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises / PC Law Firm / Phnom Penh Sugar Company / Phnom Penh Sugar director Seng Nhak / Phnom Penh Sugar’s Omlaing plantation / plantation workers / Plantations / preferential trade scheme / protests / Pung Chhiv Kek / razed crops / Rees Broome law firm / Seng Nhak / shootings / subsistence farming / sugar / sugar exports / sugar industry / sugarcane / sugarcane plantations / Taiwan / Tate & Lyle / Tate & Lyle Sugars / Thailand / Thpong district / UK / UK’s High Court of Justice / UN / United Nations / United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights / US / US National Contact Point / Ve Wong Corporation / wages
Satiating the demands of the global sugar industry is big business for Cambodia’s sugarcane plantations. Yet accusations of human rights abuses and land grabs in the Kingdom have left a bitter aftertaste for many on the ground as companies vie for a larger slice of ...