Made in Cambodia: Foreign Industry Calls on Cambodia as the Next “Low-Cost” Alternative in All Things Manufacturing
- 1 May 2013
- Cambodian Business Review
- Economy and commerce / Exports / Investment / Special economic zones / Trade
- ASEAN / Automotive Component Manufacturing / Bangkok / Bangkok City / Bretton Sciaroni / Cambodian Economic Association / CEA / CEA President Chan Sophal / CH Steel Wire Industries / Chan Sophal / Chinese aid / Coca-Cola / Constrains to Economy of Scale / Consumer Product Manufacturing / Crown Cork / Denso / Denso Cambodia Co. Ltd. / Denso Executive Vice President Sojiro Tsuchiya / Export Revenue from Manufacturing / FDI / Ford Motor / foreign direct investment / Foreign Direct Investment Diversification / garment manufacturing / Garment Manufacturing Association of Cambodia / Global Supply Chain / GMAC / Hiroshi Uematsu / Hydroelectric Energy / hydroelectric plants / IBC’s Chairman Bretton Sciaroni / Indonesia / International Business Chamber of Cambodia / investment policy / Koh Kong / Koh Kong Province / labor disputes / Labor Shortage in China / Laurelton Diamond / light manufacturing / Low-cost Alternatives / Ltd / Mansin Co. Ltd. / Manufacturing Diversification / Microchips Assembly Lines / Minebea Co. / Minimum Wage Establishment / Nikko-Kinzoku Cambodia / Offshoring / Offshoring Risks Diversification / Offshoring Trends / Philippines / Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone / Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone (PPSEZ) / PPSEZ / PPSEZ managing director Hiroshi Uematsu / Production Competitiveness / Regional Supply Chain / Relative Advantage / sihanoukville / Sihanoukville province / Sojiro Tsuchiya / Technological Constrains to Development / Thailand / Tiffany & Co / Tiger Beer / Value-added Manufacturing Plants / Wage Negotiation / Yamaha Motor / Yazaki Corp.
About a decade ago, global manufacturing firms staged a mass exodus to Asia in search of low-cost alternatives to increasing domestic wage demands and operational costs. The consensus was the continued development of a regional supply chain that had formed in countries like Vietnam and Indonesia, ...
- 6 November 2012
- Economy and commerce / Investment / Trade
- Ajinomoto / ASEAN / Association of Southeast Asian Nations / European Union aid / FDI / foreign direct investment / foreign direct investment (FDI) / Global Financial Crisis / Hiroshi Uematsu / infrastructure investments / Japanese aid / Minebea / Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone / Special Economic Zone / Yamaha Motor
Hiroshi Uematsu had a tough start in Cambodia, where he heads an economic zone that aims to attract business from his native Japan. He arrived just before the global financial crisis sent the Asian Economic Minnow’s exports into a tailspin and dried up investment interest. Now, ...