- 26 May 2013
- The Gulf Times
- Economy and commerce / Energy / Environment and natural resources / Forest products / Forests and forestry / Generation and distribution facilities / Hydropower dams / Land / Logging and timber / Renewable energy production / Rivers and lakes / Social development / The poor / Water resources
- 3S Basin / 3S Rivers Protection Network / 3S Rivers Protection Network co-ordinator Meach Mean / Ame Trandem / animal protein / animal protein consumption / biodiversity / Cambodian Government / Chinese aid / Chinese hydropower companies / Dams / Electricity / energy / Feasibility studies / fish highways / fish productivity / fish stocks / fisheries / food security / Forests / freshwater fishery / hydropower / Indigenous Communities / indigenous people / International Rivers / Laos / livestock / livestock sector / Lower Se San 2 Dam / Lower Sesan 2 dam / Meach Mean / Mekong river / Minister of Industry Mines and Energy Suy Sem / Ministry of Industry Mines and Energy / Myanmar / national election / PNAS / Ratanakkiri / Ratanakkiri Province / River Mekong Basin / Se Kong River / Se San River / sediment transportation / Sekong river / Sesan river / Sre Pok River / Srepok River / tributaries / WorldFish Center
For Meach Mean, a veteran campaigner against hydropower dams in Cambodia’s northeast, this year has brought a double dose of bad news. First, he says, two Chinese hydropower companies have begun feasibility studies into a pair of dams planned for tributaries of the Mekong River ...
- 10 May 2013
- Agricultural production / Agriculture and fishing / Economy and commerce / Energy / Environment and natural resources / Fishing, fisheries and aquaculture / Generation and distribution facilities / Hydropower dams / Renewable energy production / Rivers and lakes / Water resources
- 3S network / 3S rivers / Ame Trandem / Ame Trandem program director International Rivers / Electricity / electricity grid / electricity shortages / Eric Baran / Fish / fish yields / fisheries / food security / hydroelectric dams / Hydropower dams / Hyrdopower / Infrastructure / International Rivers / irrigation / Lower Mekong Basin / Lower Se San 2 Dam / Lower Sesan 2 dam / Mekong river / migratory fish / Mine and Energy Suy Sem / Minister of Industry / national electricity grid / PANAS / PANAS Report / relocation sites / Se Kong River / Se San River / sediment flows / Sesan river / Srekor / Srekor village / Srepok River / Suy Sem / tributary dams / tributary rivers / UN Millennium Development Goals / US journal The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences / US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton / WorldFish / WorldFish senior researcher Eric Baran
Srekor village has stood on the banks of the Se San River in northeastern Cambodia for generations. In a few years it will be gone, submerged along with more than 300 square kilometres of surrounding farmland and forest. For 37-year-old rice farmer Pa Tou, the ...
- 7 May 2013
- Voice of America (VOA)
- Energy / Environment and natural resources / Ethnic minorities and indigenous people / Generation and distribution facilities / Hydropower dams / Land / Marine and coastal areas / Renewable energy production / Rivers and lakes / Social development / Water resources
- "The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences" / Ame Trandem / Australian aid / Dams / Eric Baran / Farmland / Fish / fisheries / food security / German aid / hydropower / hydropower projects / inland fisheries / International Rivers Southeast Asia Program Director Ame Trandem / livestock sector / Lower Se San 2 Dam / Lower Sesan 2 dam / marine sector / Mekong river / national election / Relocation / relocation sites / Reservoirs / Se San River / sediment / Sesan river / Sre Pok River / Srekor village / Srepok River / U.S. / US / WorldFish
As work begins on Cambodia’s biggest dam, those advocating against its construction have warned that the region’s rush for hydropower will have a disastrous effect on millions of people who rely on the Mekong River to survive. Last month, workers began preparing an area in northeastern ...