Mobile Bonuses Axed After Firm Complaint
Minister of Posts and Telecommunications So Khun said Wednesday that the government’s decision last week to order all mobile phone firms to stop offering generous top-up bonuses came after one of the market’s competitors complained to the ministry. … Ian Watson, CEO of Mobitel, denied complaining to the ministry. … Tomas Hundt, CEO of Smart also denied complaining. “We have not complained to anyone about the competitors’ activities. We are in favor of a free market,” he said. … “Laws need to be implemented. If they don’t want to follow the law of the government, how can they work with the government? So, they can leave. You can’t just compete to live alone and let others die. Even if it’s a free market, you need to follow the rule of law,” he [Minister of Posts and Telecommunications So Khun] said.