In 1996, the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) was established by law.1 Its organization and functioning is defined by a sub-decree of the Royal Government of Cambodia.2 The minister responsible for the MEF is selected by the prime minister and nominated by the King. Following a vote of confidence by the National Assembly, the minister is appointed along with the Council of Ministers by the royal decree (Preah Reach Kret).3
The role of the MEF is to implement and contribute to the government’s economic and financial policy. Included in the main responsibilities of the ministry are the establishment of the country’s uniform financial system, preparation and implementation of the national budget, distribution and redistribution of the total national revenues, inspection of the public’s finances, and monitoring of the government’s economic and financial policies.4 To implement these tasks, the ministry is organized into various general departments and departments, including Municipal/Provincial Departments of Economy and Finance and Branches of Customs and Excises.5
Access to information on:
- Public Financial Management Reform Programme (PFMRP)
- Policies, Action Plans, and Strategies
- Guides on Taxation
- Official documents for the public use
- Related laws and regulations
- Portal address: St.92, Sangkat Wat Phnom, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodoia
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (+855)23 724 664/Fax: (+855)23 427 798
- Map: http://bit.ly/1IEM0Br
Last updated: 14 August 2015
- 1. Law on Establishment of Ministry of Economy and Finance, promulgated by Kram NS/RKM/0196/18 dated on January 24, 1996.
- 2. Sub-decree No.488 on Organization and Functioning of the Ministry of Economy and Finance dated on October 16, 2013.
- 3. Currently, the Minister of Economy and Finance is H.E. Dr. Aun Pornmoniroth. He was nominated by the Royal Decree No. NS/RKM/0913/903 dated on September 24, 2013.
- 4. Ibid, supra-note 2, Sub-decree on Organization and Functioning of the Ministry of Economy and Finance, article 5.
- 5. Ministry of Economy and Finance. “Line Departments of the Ministry of Economy and Finance”. Accessed June 15, 2015, http://www.mef.gov.kh/mef-line-departments.html . See also, Sub-decree No.488, article 60.